Too Stupid to Live (Romancelandia)

Too Stupid to Live - Anne Tenino I had been eyeing Anne Tenino’s books for a while before I finally picked up Frat Boy and Toppy. I’m so glad that I finally picked it up. Her characters are smart, witty, fun and caring – Too Stupid to Live was no exception.Sam and Ian are not the perfect couple. In fact, they are pretty much the opposite of perfect. Ian is an ex-firefighter and a jock who was really good at hiding who he is. Sam is a gangly, uncoordinated geek who loves to read romance novels and is very comfortable with who he is, even if he doesn’t have a lot of self esteem. You can’t choose who you fall in love with though, right?Like I said, the characters are the draw in all of Tenino’s books. Not only the main characters either. The supporting characters are just as important. They all play off each other. They don’t pull any punches and they give each other honesty and support when they need it most – even if the person receiving it doesn’t want it. The book also switches POV between Ian and Sam, which is a good thing. I think without a glimpse of what was going on inside Ian’s head I wouldn’t have liked him at all. Not that I didn’t want to smack him more than once regardless. He came off as a jerk, but he also had a lot of baggage and most of it he was still dealing with. Sam, on the other hand, was someone I would love to have as a friend. He was sweet, lovable, honest and quirky. His inner dialogue was perfect and gave readers an idea of exactly who he was.Too Stupid to Live was more than a light and funny romance. It dealt with a lot of serious issues too. Family, tolerance, prejudice to the extreme and a lot more were covered. It wasn’t just glossed over either. The things that happened touched all of them and the love, support and respect that they showed each other made me love these characters even more.If you want a taste of this series, there are two prequel novellas available. They make up the Whitetail Rock series and there are links to both of them on Anne Tenino‘s blog. Whitetail Rock and The Fix feature Nik and Jurgen and give you a little bit of background into Sam and Ian’s history, but mainly just introduce them. They are so worth reading though. Getting to know Nik and Jurgen was great and made me want to get to know them even more. Enjoy!