Country Mouse

Country Mouse - Amy Lane, Aleksandr Voinov I received Country Mouse from the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review. Country Mouse was short and sweet, but it didn't lack a thing. I really liked getting to know these two. They seemed to be total opposites, but they turned out to be perfect for each other.I love it when a seemingly uncaring, arrogant jerk (on the surface, anyway) realizes that the status quo isn't all it's cracked up to be. Okay, to be fair, that isn't exactly who Malcolm is, but the feelings he has for Owen still come as a surprise to him. His carefully built walls literally crumble around Owen and he doesn't like it. Being in control and having the upper hand is who he is.Owen, on the other hand, never changes. He is exactly who he appears to be, with the exception that he's not quite as naive, innocent or unaware as Malcolm first suspects. He's strong and has a healthy sense of self and a unique view on even the simplest things that I really liked. He saw something in Malcolm that even Malcolm didn't know existed and to me, that was the best part of this story.There weren't really any supporting characters in this novella, but that doesn't mean that other people didn't play an important role in the story. One of those people being Owen's mother. She's a character that I would love to meet. She obviously did a lot to shape Owen into who he was and had the kind of quirkiness and evident love for her son that added a lot to the story even though she was physically present.Malcolm and Owen's story isn't over. The sequel, City Mouse is available now and I won't be waiting long to pick it up.