Crossroads (Southern Arcana Series #2)

Crossroads - Moira Rogers I read Crux, the first book in the Southern Arcana Series earlier last year. I'm not exactly sure what took me so long to get back to this series, but I'm so glad I decided to return. Crossroads was that good.Since it had been awhile, I had forgotten some of the plot in the first book. It didn't matter though because Moira Rogers did a great job of throwing in just enough detail to get any reader back up to speed in no time. Nick, Derek and the rest of the supporting characters were all introduced in the first book. I suppose you could start with Crossroads, but you will get a lot more out of the book if you read Crux first because of the back story.This isn't a typical 'alpha male falls immediately in love with a female at first sight' type of paranormal romance. That may be why I liked it so much. Not that I don't like that powerful draw that is so common in this genre, but there is something to be said for a love that grows over time and that's what has happened between Nick and Derek.Family is a powerful force in this series too. Not just Nick's family, but Derek's loyalty to his friends and family. The connections are strong and they run deep. That, combined with the romance makes this a very emotional read.Speaking of emotional, that may be a tad understated. I even had to stop reading at one point to let Moira Rogers know that Nick and Derek were breaking my heart. Ridiculous I know, but it needed to be said. They weren't the only characters who went through gut wrenching heart break in this story either. Nick and Derek were front and center, but the supporting characters couldn't help them out too much because most of the time their worlds were falling apart as well. All in all, Crossroads was a book that I needed to take some time to recover from - especially before writing this review. Like I said, it was that good.I love the paranormal world that Moira Rogers has created. I love the characters and the way they interact. I love it all. I think it's safe to say I won't be waiting as long to read Deadlock, the next book in the Southern Arcana Series.