Graffiti Moon

Graffiti Moon - Cath Crowley Have you ever had a book take you totally by surprise? I don't mean by just a little bit, I mean a 'grab you from the beginning and never let you go' kind of surprise. That is the only way I can describe the effect that this book had on me. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does, it's beautiful!I requested the ARC for this book (which isn't due for release until February 2012) after a couple of other book bloggers recommended it. I read the short synopsis and thought it sounded interesting. I received the ARC and let it sit on my computer for a while almost forgotten. I opened it up last night after remembering it was there, noticed it was a fairly short read for me (272 pages hardcover) and thought I'd start it just to see what it was like. That was all it took. A couple of hours later I was reading the final chapter and wishing there was more.What made Graffiti Moon so hard to put down? Cath Crowley has an almost poetic style of writing. The whole time I was reading this book I found myself wishing I could come close to expressing myself in prose the way she did. Her characters had depth, fierce emotions and humor. The two main characters, Ed and Lucy, were extremely artistic and creative and Crowley's descriptions of their art gave you vivid images of their creations. Add that to the passion they had for the art that they created and the imagery was amazing.Another aspect that pulls the reader in is the way Crowley gives the characters their own voice by sharing points of view. The chapters are titled with the character's name. Ed, Lucy and Leo are each given a voice and it works beautifully. The story wouldn't have been the same if you hadn't been given a glimpse into each of their thoughts. Leo's chapters are all poetry which give you a unique way to get inside his head. The breaks could have been awkward but they flowed perfectly between Ed and Lucy's point of view.Graffiti Moon is set in Australia, but it could have been in any city. The 'where' of the story wasn't important to the plot.This was the first time I had heard of Cath Crowley, but I'm sure it won't be the last of her books that I read.