Dark Lover - J.R. Ward Dark Lover is the first book in J.R. Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood series. What better brother to start with than Wrath, the brotherhood’s reluctant king? I watched this series for a long time before I broke down and bought Dark Lover. I even had it saved amongst my Amazon orders and moved it out several times. What changed my mind and convinced me to finally read it? Why Kelly at Reading the Paranormal of course. She not only started my obsession, she has successfully fueled it. Now, it has taken on a life of its own. I love it when that happens! Now, on to the review….Dark Lover begins with one of the brothers (Darius) trying to convince his king, brother and friend (Wrath) to help his daughter (Beth). There are a few problems though. First, Beth has no idea that Darius even exists (not to mention that vampires even exist); second, though Wrath is a great warrior he keeps himself totally unapproachable; third, Wrath hates humans and Beth is half human. From there the list actually goes on and on. That doesn’t stop Darius from asking, or practically begging Wrath for his help. It also isn’t surprising that Wrath refuses. Fate has other plans though and a tragedy forces Wrath to help Beth out of loyalty to his friend. What he didn’t count on was the effect that Beth would ultimately have on him.This book is not only the story of Wrath and Beth, it is the beginning and a wonderful introduction to the key players in the brotherhood. Ward gives you a small glimpse into each of the brothers and shows you just enough of their personality and weakness to get you interested. Rhage, Phury, Vishous, Zsadist and Tohr are the warriors that make up the Black Dagger Brotherhood. They each have their own back story and ‘crosses’ to bear and as you read Dark Lover you can’t help but be drawn to the mystery of each one of them.I fell in love with the vampires and mythology behind them that Ward created in this series. Here vampires are unique in their make up and it works well in the story. Good versus evil is given a whole new meaning in these books. Evil incarnate is presented in the form of a soulless society made up of Lessers. They are truly a group that it is really easy to hate.Ward breaks up the point of view in Dark Lover to give you a glimpse into the minds of several different characters, including the Lessers. It works really well and breaks the chapters up nicely. Because you don’t just get inside Beth and Wrath’s head but several characters are given a voice it keeps things interesting.I guess now would be a good time to mention that I am reviewing this book after reading it for the 4th time. No, I’m not obsessed. There are just some books that I like to revisit. Sometimes that includes an entire series. Obviously the Black Dagger Brotherhood is included in that list. I’m not really sure why I didn’t review this book when I read it the first time, but I’m trying to make up for that oversight now. If you want to get wrapped up in a great series that features a whole crew of cursed, fiercely loyal and lovable warriors – J.R. Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood is the perfect diversion for you.