Magic Strikes - Ilona Andrews I really liked the first two books in this series – Magic Bites & Magic Burns – but they didn’t come close to pulling me in the way Magic Strikes did. Mentioning it is really kind of silly because if pressed, I couldn’t give you a concrete reason. Just another one of those unanswerable questions I suppose. Regardless of why, this book is my favorite in the series so far.That being said, I also can’t really decide what I like most about the Kate Daniels series. The world building is phenomenal. It’s complex, dark and scary. As I’ve mentioned before, you won’t find any shiny, sexy vampires in the world of mythological characters that Ilona Andrews has created. Their vamps are not only scary but down right hideous and definitely not something you would want to meet in a dark ally. *shivers* As far as other creatures go in Magic Strikes, the husband and wife duo of Ilona Andrews held nothing back. Just when I thought we had ‘seen’ everything, they create and painstakingly describe something else even more dangerous than the creature before it. And I’m not exaggerating about those descriptions… they were honestly cringe worthy.Then there are the characters and the relationships that are developing between all of them. Not one of them is more important than the other and they all add to the series. They depended on each other a lot in this book and getting to know each of them a little bit better was quite a treat. Not one of them was flat. Not a lot of series pull that off with a such a full cast of characters but Kate Daniels seems to be one that does it effortlessly. Of course Kate is front and center and her character has grown a lot since the series began. A lot of that growth stems from her letting people into her life. As isolated as Kate has kept herself from others, when she finally lets someone in they become hers to not only love but protect. She proved that more than once in Magic Strikes.A lot of sacrifices were made in Magic Strikes. A lot of secrets were revealed and some mysteries have started to unravel, but there are still a lot that need to be solved. There were gasps, tears (more than once), events that insured that some characters lives will never be the same, heart warming moments, some really funny dialog and even a little bit of romance.Through it all the dialog and banter between the characters made this book one of the most quotable yet. Here’s just a taste: I did my best to change the subject. “I think you give our relationship too much credit. I irritate the hell out of Curran and he found a way to pester me. It’s nothing.”“You may be right,” Raphael said.“His Majesty needs a can-I girl anyway. And I’m not it.”“A can-I girl?” Andrea frowned.I leaned back. ” ‘Can fetch you your food, You Majesty? Can I tell you how strong and mighty you are, Your Majesty? Can I pick out your fleas, Your Majesty? Can I kiss your a**, Your Majesty? Can I…”It dawned on me that Raphael was sitting very still. Frozen, like a statue, his gaze fixed on the point above my head.“He’s standing right behind me, isn’t he?”Andrea nodded slowly.“Technically it should be ‘may I,’ ” Curran said, his voice deeper than I remembered. “Since you’re asking permission.” And the conversation just gets better after that. Which is a perfect lead in to Curran. Things are definitely heating up between these two and I can’t wait to see where the relationship goes. I have a feeling that things are going to get a lot more interesting between Kate and Curran and can I just say… it’s about time! Speaking of which, there was a very ‘interesting’ scene in Magic Strikes that Ilona Andrews (mainly Gordon this time) wrote in Curran’s POV. Once you’ve finished Magic Strikes you may want to follow the link to their website and see what was going through Curran’s head. It’s worth the trip. Next in the series is Magic Bleeds and I can’t wait to pick it up!