Ethan's Mate (The Vampire Coalition, #1) - J.S. Scott Sometimes books in novella form work and sometimes they don’t. I really liked the story, the characters, the mythology of J.S. Scott’s vampires and the attraction between Brianna and Ethan. I just can’t help but wondering if I would have liked it more if there would have been… well… more.A lot happened in Ethan’s Mate in a short amount of time. Ethan had spent 5 hundred years and given up on finding a mate (so had his brothers.) Brianna faced death because of a life threatening disease. An evil force was after her and evidently threatening all potential soul guarding mates. It was all intriguing and had amazing potential. What little action there was, was intense. The romance was hot and the characters were likable. It’s just hard to accept the story as a race against time when everything is wrapped up in 57 pages. I kind of walked away from it thinking ‘well, that was easy.’I do see a future for this series though. My curiosity was sparked enough to want to find out more about the other brothers and see where this story is going. Rory’s Mate is next and I just might have to check it out.