Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #1) - Lara Adrian I’m really, really late picking up this series. What’s worse is that I’ve had it on my TBR list forever, but I just hadn’t picked it up. Last month I found the Kindle version on Amazon for only 99¢. How could I possibly say no to that? Now I could kick myself for waiting so long. Kiss of Midnight was a great series opener.As tortured souls go, Lucan was the perfect example. He was a loner and he planned on staying that way. He needed no one and kept his secret torment hidden from all his warriors and their mates. He had one goal and that was to protect by destroying his enemy. Nothing else mattered. Until he met Gabrielle.Gabrielle fell into the world of the Breed the night of the murder, but her connection with them started way before that. She couldn’t explain her attraction to Lucan but she couldn’t fight it. Even when she knew she should.These characters drew me in from the beginning. As strong as Lucan was, he knew he wasn’t worthy of Gabrielle and as scared as she was of the world she was thrown into she couldn’t deny her attraction to him. The inner turmoil that these two put themselves through was heartbreaking but the outcome was worth the tears.Along with the romance there was also a bit of mystery and a lot of danger and suspense. I love a book that never lets you be 100% sure exactly who you should trust and Kiss of Midnight definitely delivered in that department. There were a lot of ‘huh?’ moments, for me at least. The mythology surrounding Lara Adrian’s vampires is also unique. I loved her take on the ‘whys’ and ‘hows.’The other characters stood out in Kiss of Midnight as well. I can’t wait to get to know the rest of them better as I plow through this series. Kiss of Crimson is next and it features Dante. Stay tuned because now that I’ve added the Midnight Breed to my Seriously Series reading list there is no turning back.