The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky I have no idea how long this book has been on my TBR list, but let’s just say it’s been there a very long time. My daughter is the first person to suggest it to me. She read it and loved it. I put it on my TBR Pile Challenge list hoping it would push me to pick it up and still it sat untouched. The final push was when Laura Ashlee had A Wallflower Event Read-A-Long. It was the perfect reason to pick it up. Now I could kick myself for taking so long to read it. *sigh*I’ll admit, it took me a couple of chapters – or letters – to really get into this book. Once I got my mind wrapped around the fact that I was reading letters and not dialogue it got easier. It may sound strange, but once you start reading it, you’ll understand. The book is literally comprised of a teenage boy’s letters to someone he has never met. His thoughts spill out as he basically writes down everything he’s feeling. Reading the compilation was quite an experience. They cover a year of Charlie’s life and through them you get a true sense of his enlightenment and emotions – good and bad. And there was a lot of both.There were times when I shook my head and wanted to ask him what he was thinking and there were other times that I just wanted to hug him. His friends may not have been the best roll models, but they did care about him and helped him come out of his shell a little. They understood him better than his own family at times. He also had a great teacher who took him under his wing. Every awkward teen should be blessed with someone like that in their lives. A person who is young enough to remember what it feels like to sympathize yet old enough to shed some wisdom.This was a great read and I’m so glad that I finally caved and read it. I’m even happier that I read it before it hit the big screen. I’m sure that the movie will be great, especially since it’s directed by the author… yet, there’s just something about a book ;) If you haven’t read The Perks of Being a Wallflower, treat yourself. It’s not always an easy read. Charlie deals with some really emotional issues, yet through it all he survives and learns to live a little in the process.