Magic Burns - Ilona Andrews So I’ve heard that this series gets better with every book and after reading Magic Burns, I’d say that the people who have said this are right. I liked Magic Bites but this book was so much better.The world that the husband and wife team of Ilona Andrews have created in this series is amazing. There’s nothing sexy or sparkly about their vampires, or any of the other supernatural beings that exist. They are all pretty much cursed and at times grotesque. It’s a totally different take on the paranormal and it works.The magic is overwhelming at times and pretty much rules everyone’s existence. The bad guys are fierce and the good guys are strong, but they don’t always win. It’s a dark world but it’s not hopeless. Kate is one of the strongest female characters that I’ve read, but she is compassionate and loyal to a fault. The new characters that were introduced in Magic Burns are sure to make things interesting in future books and we still are treated to the never ending tension between Kate and Curran. That and the humor that is laced between the drama and tension makes this book a true page turner and has me itching for the next book in the series.