Hourglass (Hourglass, #1) - Myra McEntire This book has been around for a while and it’s been on my radar for just about that long. Of course the premise of the book got my attention, but I think it was the cover that actually grabbed me. It’s just so striking and unique. I know you’re not supposed to judge a book by it’s cover, but when you see one this creative and eye catching you can’t help but be drawn to it. *sigh* The pages beyond the cover though… wow! I can’t remember the last time a YA book affected me as emotionally as this one did. Myra McEntire is definitely on my list of favorite authors that I will be keeping my eye on in the future. (No pun intended.)I’m not exactly sure where to start. I guess I should begin with the standard ‘gush’ warning. There is no way that I will be able to get through this review without gushing and rambling and …. well, you get the idea. Hourglass was just that amazing.Okay, now that we’ve gotten all the preliminaries out of the way, let’s start at the most logical place – Emerson. She is such a great teen MC. I’ve said before that I like ‘smart’ teen characters and Emerson falls into that category. Part of that comes from the fact that she has been through so much, but part of it is just her personality. She is a character that you can’t help but like and really want to get to know. I love her love and devotion for her family. I also love the fact that she picks her battles. She respects her older brother and his wife, but she also treats him like a brother. They have such a special relationship. Even though he’s the ‘big brother’ and could pull the guardianship card, he proves more than once that even though he’s protective, he still respects Emerson as a person. She accepts his role as guardian and even though she doesn’t like it, she knows when she’s pushed him to his limit and accepts the consequences. I really loved the way that McEntire portrayed their relationship.Then there’s Michael. *sigh* He is the kind of YA male that I desperately want to find for any one of my daughters. There is an instant connection between Emerson and Michael that neither one of them can deny. Michael, however, does his best. The fact that he keeps secrets from her drives her crazy, but he does it out of a sense of responsibility to her. He’s the kind of character that you have more and more respect for the longer you’re ‘with’ him. He’s human, and he does make some not so smart decisions, but that just made me like him more. His dedication, responsibility, respect and love for his friends make him the perfect hero.The supporting characters were well written. I loved the friendship between Lily and Emerson. They truly loved and supported each other in ways no one else could. Kaleb was so broken you couldn’t help but love him. Even when Michael was ‘mad’ at him you could feel the love and respect between them. Thomas and Dru, Emerson’s brother and sister-in-law were great too. None of the relationships were forced and they all fit perfectly into the story.The climax of this book was heartbreaking and so full of emotion it pretty much tore me up. Tears? Oh yeah, there were tears and the worst part was that they were totally unexpected. There were twists and turns near the end that would put any roller coaster to shame. I kind of figured out who one of the ‘bad’ guys were, but their ‘partner in crime’ totally blew me away. You literally don’t see any of it coming until you are right in the middle of it. It was amazing!Hourglass doesn’t end in a cliff hanger, but there is so much more left to the story. I’m not sure how long it will be before I pick up Timeless but I can’t wait to read it. A recovery period would probably be good though. This was definitely an intense read, but one that I am so glad I finally picked up.