City of Lost Souls - Cassandra Clare There is no sense denying it or making excuses. You all should know right now that this is going to be a gushing review. I’m sorry, I have no choice. This should not be a surprise to anyone, so now that I’ve gotten the gush alert out of the way… ;)I had City of Lost Souls in my possession for over a week before I started reading it. I even put it on my Bout-of-Books list in anticipation of reading it. I knew I would tear through it, but I just couldn’t bring myself to start. Why? Because I knew once I did, I would have to wait MONTHS for my next Shadowhunter fix. *sigh*I’m not sure how to convey exactly what reading anything by Cassandra Clare is like. It’s something that you have to experience for yourself to understand. She draws you in and makes you feel. Some things you didn’t even know you were capable of. Emotions run rampant in City of Lost Souls. The amazing part is that you don’t only feel these emotions for Clary and Jace. Their story is the center but the lives and people that revolve around their story are just as important and equally as mesmerizing. There was so much going on, so many lives and relationships at stake. Through all that there was still humor, mystery, action and hints of things to come. I wasn’t kidding when I mentioned to several people that I needed a recovery time before I wrote this review. You think I’m gushing now? If I would have started writing this immediately after I finished…. well, let’s just leave it at that.I have to be really careful not to give anything away. I don’t want to spoil anything for anyone who hasn’t read City of Lost Souls yet. There were just some characters that affected me more than others and I have to touch on those just a little.Alec: I’ve always liked Alec. He’s kind of been someone in the background for me in the other books. This one changed that for me. There were moments that I wanted to hug him and others that I either wanted to shake him or try to smack some sense into him.Izzy: I’ve kind of had the same give or take reaction to her until this book too. I am now totally #TeamIzzy! She was amazing in City of Lost Souls. Her shining moment for me came when she told a character everything that I have wanted to say to them for several Mortal Instruments books now. Go Izzy! I wanted to give her a high five at the end of her little speech. She even had a repeat performance later in the book and I was just as proud of her then too.Simon: Oh Simon… He literally broke my heart in this one. I think out of all the characters, he has gone through more change and growth. I think he got more virtual hugs from me in this one than anyone else. Trust me, this book brings out every ‘mom’ impulse imaginable.In case you were wondering, there were tears. Some of them were happy and some were heart breaking. Actually, there were two times that I teared up, and both of them were at unexpected places and times. In true Cassie form, I was caught totally off guard. I both hate it and love it when that happens. There were also a lot more hints in this one to tie-ins between The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices. Some of them were laugh-out-loud moments and one of those may turn into one of my favorite quotes from this book. There are also some very disturbing and evil moments that may bother some readers. Nothing graphic or over the top, but just enough to let the reader know exactly how evil and lost that one character actually was. In a strange way, it was almost necessary. The lines were kind of gray until then and these scenes gave the reader no further doubt.The only other thing that I want to add is that I don’t think that I have ever read an epilogue that is as full of altering moments as the one at the end of City of Lost Souls. If you are a reader who doesn’t always read beyond the last chapter (I know that there are some of you out there) don’t skip this one. So much happens in those last few pages… *sigh*Okay, I think that I have sufficiently gushed now. I don’t know what more I can say to convince you that these books and this world that Cassandra Clare has created is something that must be experienced. If you need more convincing, you can follow the links below and see what other readers had to say. ;)