Dark Awakening (A Crimson City Novella) - Patti O'Shea Okay, so not only am I on a novella kick, but I’m also taking full advantage of the freebies on Amazon. It’s a win/win! I get to get introduced to some authors I may not have noticed before with some really good, quick reads and it doesn’t break my book budget.Dark Awakening is part of Patti O’Shea’s Crimson City Series. Since I haven’t read any of the other books in the series, I can’t comment on whether or not readers would get more out of this short read if they had read the other books first. I can tell you though that I didn’t get lost and never felt like anything was missing while I was reading Dark Awakening. That doesn’t meant that I don’t want to go back and check out what I’ve missed. ;)Kimi and Nic had a lot of chemistry to say the least. I liked Kimi’s personality and the fact that she had no idea how much power she really possessed. I also liked Nic’s determination to keep Kimi safe. I liked O’Shea’s take on the demon/witch aspect and where she took the story.Even though this was a novella, there was an awful lot of action and heat packed into it. It was definitely a read that kept my interest and was very easy to finish in one sitting. There was just enough there to be satisfying and still leave you wanting more so you are intrigued enough to pick up the next one. Very sneaking of these authors, don’t you think? And yes, it worked. I will be checking out more titles in this series – very sneaky indeed.