The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) - Julie Kagawa I love getting ARCs, I really, really do. However, there are one or two major downfalls. Both are dependent on loving the book. If it is part of a series, I have MORE time in between books to wait than I would have if I waited until the actual release. The second is by getting the book through NetGalley I don’t have the physical book and the ebook expires. Have I mentioned that I am not only an eclectic reader, but a book hoarder? If it is a book I love I will be reading it again (and again and again…) And yes, if you hadn’t already guessed – The Immortal Rules falls into this category. It is a book that I will definitely need to purchase – soon!The Immortal Rules is part of a new series titled Blood of Eden by Julie Kagawa. I knew going into this book that it was about Vampires but trust me, it’s not your run of the mill Vampire story. There may be Vampires in the world that Kagawa has created, but the book is much more than that. It’s dark, horrific, sad, violent, heartbreaking and packs a powerful message. In short, this book was an amazing read – period.Allison has grown up in a world that is based on survival of the fittest. The Vampires are in charge of this new world and they aren’t the sparkly kind – not even close. Humans are a food source, plain and simple with a chosen few that are a little higher on the food chain. The cities have crumbled, society as we now know it doesn’t exist and the only person that Allison knows that she can depend on is herself. All Vampires are the enemy and they are all evil demons. Vampires are to be hated and no one hates them more than her. Imagine suddenly turning into the ‘thing’ that you hate the most. What better lesson in prejudice could there be? That’s just one of the things that makes The Immortal Rules so amazing.Obviously her world is totally turned upside down. She’s given a choice, but it doesn’t make the outcome any easier. Once she is changed, her fight becomes something totally different. She is guided by Kanin, who on the surface isn’t a sweet and loving mentor. There’s a lot of mystery behind him that is only partially revealed. His character is very intriguing and becomes even more so as the story progresses.The other characters that Allison meets along her journey are interesting as well. Even the characters that she only spends a short amount of time with help her grow and understand exactly who and what she has become. As a result of Allison’s growth, they grow too – at least the ones who survive. It was an amazing process and one that the reader couldn’t help but get caught up in. There’s a lot of prejudice in this book and a lot of suffering but there is also hope and self awareness. It’s something that you really need to read to understand.The Immortal Rules doesn’t necessarily end in a cliff hanger, but there is no doubt that when you finish you will be ready for the next installment. Allison’s story is far from over. Her journey has just begun and I for one can’t wait to see where the next books take her. Evidently, early in Kawaga’s career, she promised herself that she wouldn’t write a Vampire novel. This particular reader is ecstatic that she ultimately changed her mind.