The Soulkeepers (The Soulkeepers, #1) - G.P. Ching I know I’ve made this statement before, but when I say it, I honestly mean it. That statement is ‘this book took me totally by surprise!’ No really, The Soulkeepers was not what I expected at all, and I mean that in a very good way. I have had this book on my TBR list for a long time. I’m not sure why I put off reading it, but when I saw it on Amazon as a free ebook download I ran out of excuses. The best part is, The Soulkeepers is part of G.P. Ching’s Soulkeeper Series which means there’s more to come!The book opens with Jacob waking up after a serious accident. He can’t trust his memories, he is made a ward of an uncle he never knew he had and he’s forced to leave his home. As if all that weren’t bad enough, Paris, Illinois isn’t exactly the kind of place that welcomes new residents and Jacob is sure that his uncle’s beautiful neighbor isn’t exactly what she seems.I’m not sure what part of The Soulkeepers I liked the best. I loved the depth of the characters that Ching created. I loved Ching’s use of magic, mythology and yes, even religion to tell this unique story along with the world building. I loved Jacob’s relationship with Malini and how they grew and learned things about themselves along the way. I loved the twists and turns and how good and bad wasn’t necessarily cut and dry.The other supporting characters in The Soulkeepers were interesting – there really isn’t another word for them. There weren’t a lot of people in Paris, Illinois to really like, including Jacob’s family. Some of them gained a reprieve from me by the end, but not totally. Jacob spent most of book pretty sure there was no one he could really trust. That’s what made his relationship with Malini so important and then…. nope, I’m not going to give anything away. You’ll just have to read The Soulkeepers and stay on the edge of your seat like I did. I’m not being mean here, trust me, it’s worth every page-turning minute.The Soulkeepers doesn’t end in a cliff-hanger, but I’m sure you’ll want to be able to get your hands on the next book in the series. Weaving Destiny is available now and is already on my TBR list. I can’t wait to read the rest of The Soulkeepers Series and have added G.P Ching to my list of authors to keep an eye on.