The Darkest Night - Gena Showalter Okay, I caved. I'm not sure why I hesitated in starting Gena Showalter's Lords of the Underworld series, but I did. A lot of my blogging buddies have been hooked on this series for a while. So, the last time I picked up books from Amazon, I threw The Darkest Night into my shopping cart. Did I like it? Let's just say, I now have the next 2 books in the series waiting in my shopping cart on Amazon. They were put there about half way through this book. ;)It's no secret I'm a fan of Paranormal Romance. My favorite involve tortured souls, the more tortured the better. Both Maddox and Ashlyn fit that bill in a big way. The relationship isn't one sided. They need each other to survive - almost literally, which makes for a perfect romance.Each of the Lords has their own cross to bear, so to speak. The Darkest Night touches on each one of them, but Maddox is obviously front and center. I also like books that give the reader more than one POV and The Darkest Night accomplishes that seamlessly. You not only get Maddox and Ashlyn's POV, but you hear from other Lords and supporting characters as well.The Darkest Night contains enough action, romance, mystery and heart wrenching moments to keep you on the edge of your seat and turning pages until you come to the end. The mythology that the series is based on keeps things interesting and familiar as well. I can't wait to read about the other Lords. I'm pretty sure I already have my favorites, but I need to read more to find out. These boys probably won't replace my first loves, but they will be a fine diversion between books. ;)