Don't Fear the Reaper (Netherworld, #1) - Michelle Muto I put this review off for a day after I finished. Not because it was something I didn’t want to do, but mainly because the book was so good I wanted to make sure I did Michelle’s story justice. I’m still not positive that I can do that, but here it goes.Don’t Fear the Reaper is a dark story about the afterlife of a teen who commits suicide. It doesn’t glorify suicide and not once is Keely happy with her decision. As a matter of fact, almost immediately she regrets doing what she did and wants to take it back. Even before she knows she is truly dead. It is definitely a book for older more mature teens. It delves into the grief of those left behind and the regret of the teen who took her own life, but it also does so much more than that.To me, the main focus of Don’t Fear the Reaper was undying love. Not only the love of Keely and her sister and the love that they both had for their parents but also the love that other characters shared and the ultimate sacrifices that many of them made. The book began with suicide and ended with hope and the journey that Michelle takes you on to get you there is unforgettable.Michelle’s characters have so much depth that you feel like you know them personally by the time you are through. Basically Keely is led through her short time left on Earth by her reaper, Banning and a demon, Daniel. Being a demon you would think that Daniel is the bad guy and in essence he is, but I always found something lovable about him. Maybe it was his sarcastic humor in the beginning. Regardless I think he may have been my favorite character. Banning was a fatherly figure for Keely and mostly the voice of reason, but not perfect. They all played off each other perfectly and the dialog between them was fun to keep up with and all of it moved the story along flawlessly.I love Michelle’s style of writing and even though I knew that this story was going to be a lot darker than The Book of Lost Souls, I went into it knowing that I was going to love it. I obviously wasn’t disappointed. Was it a hard book to read? Of course, but the action and the suspense made it impossible to put down. Did I shed a few tears? Yes, and I expected to, but the tears weren’t all tears of sadness. It was a very emotional read, especially near the end, but it was worth every minute. Michelle’s take on the afterlife and her touching depictions of what families experience during times of tragedy and grief are well worth any tears shed. Now I’m going to wait very patiently for Michelle to get back to Ivy and her friends, but whatever she writes next, I will be sure to pick up.