That Day in September - Artie Van Why I don’t usually read nonfiction books. It’s not that nonfiction is a genre that I purposely avoid, it’s just that reading is a release and escape for me. Jumping into someone else’s reality isn’t much of an escape for me. Sometimes a dose of reality is good for the soul though and that’s where I was left after reading That Day in September.Given that today’s date is September 9th, 2011 this was a very timely and appropriate read. I’m pretty sure that everyone knows exactly where they were, what they were doing and who they were with on September 11th, 2001. Anniversaries have a tendency to bring you back in time and milestone anniversaries make that pull even stronger. That’s where I was when I read Artie’s account.Artie doesn’t just give an account of September 11th. He also gives you some of his background. At first I wasn’t sure where it all would fit and why he went to the trouble to do it, but then it dawned on me. Without that background and glimpse into what made the city important to him the feelings of that day and the aftermath wouldn’t have been as strong for the reader. I’m sure fellow New Yorkers wouldn’t have needed that detail, but reading the account from the point of view of someone who has never even been to New York City it helped.That Day In September is a quick read and I’m glad I took the time to read Artie’s account. His is actually the first story from September 11th that I have read. It was just long enough to get a glimpse into a personal account without over whelming this nonfiction reading novice.