A Corner of White (The Colours of Madeleine #1) - Jaclyn Moriarty Can you rate a book in sections? Stay tuned for my review.... ;) This is the most unique book I’ve read in a very long time. I have to admit that it took me a while to get into it and an exceptionally long time to read it. It wasn’t that I didn’t like it. It just seemed to drag. Now that I’ve finished it, I think I understand why. I may be reading a little bit more into it than there is or I may be over analyzing it, but here’s my take on A Corner of White.If I would have had to rate this book as I read it I would have given it maybe 3 stars in the beginning – and that would have probably been generous. I wasn’t really attached or intrigued by either the characters or the subject. Everything seemed kind of disconnected and the characters were not necessarily flat but kind of shallow. They didn’t seem to have any real purpose other than being there. Madeleine was depressed because she didn’t want the life she was living with her mother, she wanted the life she had before she ran away with her to Cambridge. She felt cheated and frankly came off as a little spoiled. Her friends were a bit strange at first glance. Even the dialogue seemed to bounce all over the place and the descriptions seemed to be choppy or run together. It was hard to keep up. Even though Madeleine’s world was the ‘real world’ in some ways it was just as much of a fantasy as Cello.Elliot’s world was unique to say the least. There were things about it that were fairly normal and familiar, yet there were obviously things that were beautiful and dangerous. I liked Elliot, his mother and his friends. Most of the people in the town I liked too. In some ways, they seemed more ‘real’ than the characters in Madeleine’s world. I liked the uniqueness of it and the strength of the characters. Once these worlds came together through Madeleine and Elliot’s letter exchanges things started to get a little more interesting.The more I read this book the more connected it became. I don’t think that was accidental. The writing and cohesiveness of the story became clearer as things became clearer for the characters. There are a lot of mysteries, twists and turns in this book. The characters not only learn a lot, they grow a lot. When I first started reading A Corner of White I was wondering how it could possibly develop into a series. Once I reached the end I realized I couldn’t wait to find out what happens next. Those characters that you thought you knew were totally different people by the end of the book. Frivolous characters had a depth that you didn’t even notice until it was revealed and then you gained a whole new understanding. This is definitely a book that you could look at an entirely different way if you read it a second time.Like I said, I may have totally missed the mark on this one and I may be seeing something that isn’t there at all. Regardless, A Corner of White turned into an entirely different experience than I expected when I started. I can’t wait to get to know these characters even better in the next book in The Colors of Madeleine.