Red

Red - Kait Nolan Can I just say, I love my book blogging friends! ;) If not for them, I would have missed out on a lot of really great books. Sure, I probably have found them eventually, but through their reviews, recommendations and author interviews I found some gems I might have otherwise missed. I have Mundie Moms and their interview with Kait Nolan to thank for me stumbling onto Red. I think I downloaded Red to my Kindle the day that I read the interview. Silly me waited almost a month later to read it. I’m not sure why, but it was worth the wait. Its not often that I read a book in one day, but Red was a book that gripped me from the beginning and made me want to stay with until the bitter end.In the opening Kait introduces us to Elodie and her secret. As if being a teenager isn’t enough, Elodie has spent the past four years knowing that she was cursed. A curse that caused her mother’s suicide and the same fate was looming over her. As the story continues, you find out exactly how sheltered from life Elodie has been. Her father’s way of protecting her from the curse was to totally shelter her from anything that may trigger her transition. Her mother was dead and because of a letter her mother had left her on her 13th birthday, her father never looked at her the same way again. Because they moved so often and she had no friends, her isolation was complete. Until she met Sawyer.Sawyer was isolated in his own way. He was so full of grief and anger after his mother’s murder that he was beyond consoling. He was in constant torment, until he stumbled upon Elodie. Nothing he felt about her made sense, but it was because of those feelings that he felt the need to protect her. Regardless of how wrong it was. Even though he couldn’t sense what she was, he knew there was something different about her and he couldn’t ignore that calm he felt whenever she was around. Kait made me fall in love with these two as soon as they met. That’s when the page turning began, and it didn’t stop until I was finished.Kait’s style of writing in Red drew you into the story effortlessly. I love the chapter and section breaks that give you the story from both Elodie and Sawyer’s point of view. There’s no guessing the emotions that they are going through because you are right inside their heads for every heart wrenching moment. Sawyer’s determination to prove to Elodie that she wasn’t the monster she thought she was becoming and Elodie’s determination to keep away from anyone and everyone that she cared about before she caused them harm. Their love seemed doomed even before you throw in a killer determined to destroy it all. Red isn’t just a paranormal teen love story, its full of action, mystery and werewolf legend. It will keep you on the edge of your seat until the end.