Walking Disaster: A Novel

Walking Disaster - Jamie McGuire I knew going into this book that it was going to be intense. After all, readers already knew what was in store for Travis and Abby. Regardless, seeing it all from Travis’ POV was eye opening and I found myself just as engrossed in Walking Disaster as I was when I read Beautiful Disaster. It didn’t take long to pull me in, especially since I was reduced to tears before I even finished the Prologue. *sigh* It was also just as aptly titled. Travis was a ‘walking disaster’ no matter whose POV you got the story from. The difference is that when you got the story from Travis’ POV you became aware that no one was more painfully aware of that fact than Travis himself.Did Walking Disaster change my opinion of Travis? No, but I didn’t expect it to. It did give me a better understanding of why he did some of the things he did. It also gave me an idea of where he came from and the people and events that shaped him into who he was. For all his faults, rages and crazy actions, he really wasn’t a bad kid. I knew that when I read Beautiful Disaster. Getting the same story from Travis’ POV just confirmed it.What I liked about Walking Disaster most was not only getting inside Travis’ head but seeing characters through his eyes. He had a unique take on people and what made them tick. I loved his family and their devotion toward each other. Their methods and actions may not have been conventional, but it worked for them and they were there for each other when they needed to be. I also loved learning where ‘Pigeon’ came from. For as tough and non caring as Travis seemed at times, he really did have a big heart. His thoughts and actions were so much less random when you saw where they were coming from. I also realized that if I would have read this book first I wouldn’t have liked Abby nearly as much as I did. Getting her POV first was definitely the right order for this series.As much as I liked both books, I still don’t think that this series is for everyone. Both Abby and Travis came from very tough backgrounds. Their relationship wasn’t healthy by any stretch of the imagination but they proved time and again that regardless of how crazy they were together they were much worse apart. There are parts that were hard to read and there were so many times that I wanted to reach into the book and comfort all of them. There were also times that I wanted to grab them and shake them. Basically, these books really brought out the ‘mom’ in me.I think my favorite part of this whole book was the Epilogue. I’m not going to give anything away but those few pages made all the ups, downs and craziness so worth it.