Carpe Corpus (Morganville Vampires Series #6)

Carpe Corpus - Rachel Caine Where in the heck do I begin here? It seems that every installment of Morganville Vampires not only gets more intense but the stakes just keep getting higher. Carpe Corpus was definitely no exception. Yikes!I think that what I like most about this series so far is that there is absolutely no predictability. Sure, you can guess what’s going to happen every now and then, but the loyalty (or at least the presumed loyalty) of all most all the players change constantly. There are people that you hate one minute and are cheering on the next. It’s more of a roller coaster ride than any other series that I’ve read and I like that. It’s intense and it’s fun and it’s never, ever boring.Rachel Caine is also not afraid to make her bad guys beyond bad either. It’s hard to think of a bad guy in a YA novel that is any worse than Bishop. As far as the rest of the bad guys? Yeah, they aren’t any better and there were even a few new players thrown into the mix. Along with a couple of surprises that I never saw coming. There was so much going on, so many new layers and so much intensity there was hardly time to take a breath. I loved every minute of it.Through it all, Michael, Eve, Shane and Claire stuck together… kind of. There were a few rough spots and some trust issues but it should be no surprise that they overcame all that to find their way back to each other. It wasn’t easy though and not everyone readers have grown to love and respect survives this installment… *sigh* Just another day in Morganville.I’ve been reading the Morganville Vampires series in Volumes and I think that I’ll continue to do it that way. They are short, fast reads but they are packed full of action, mystery and just enough romance to keep things interesting. I read Carpe Corpus in Volume 3. Next up is #7, Fade Out which is the first book in Volume 4. So glad I decided to read them this way because even though Carpe Corpus didn’t end in a cliff hanger, that certainly isn’t the norm with this series.