Glass Houses (Morganville Vampires)

Glass Houses  - Rachel Caine First, I have to give credit where credit is due. I was book bullied into starting the Morganville Vampire Series. This bully is subtle, but persistent and she goes by the name of Hannah and she resides, among other places at Once Upon a Time. She has been lovingly nudging me to start this series forever it seems. It’s not really that I was resisting, it’s just that I have so many other books on my TBR list that I just kept putting it off. Once again, all it took was picking up the first book and diving in. You guessed it, there is now no turning back. Oh well, what’s another series of 13+ books to add to my TBR list? Really? *sigh*I’m not sure what I expected from Glass Houses. Really, it’s just another YA vampire book, right? Well, yes. It is a YA vampire book, but it is so much more than that. The world and characters that Rachel Caine has created suck you in. (Sorry, that wasn’t meant to be vamp humor – whoops.) The premise of vampires running a town and somewhat ‘owning’ its members is kind of scary and added to the tension and suspense. The fact that not every character was exactly as they seemed in the beginning also kept the pages turning for me. Mostly though, it was the well written characters and the connection that the reader felt to them.Claire is smart and strong, even though she feels weak. She doesn’t give up even though she finds herself in a totally dangerous situation. The big irony here is that in an effort to keep her safe and close to home her parents have actually put her in more danger than she has ever been in.I loved the relationship between Claire and her new friends. Eve, Michael and Shane were great and each were lovable in their own unique way. I absolutely loved the scene where Eve and Claire first meet. Besides being friendly and lovable, they each had their secrets and vulnerabilities. I can see how the group of them are going to continue getting closer and the development of the characters throughout was perfect. I loved getting to know them.Besides the tight knit group who lived in Glass House, there were a wealth of other supporting characters. Most of which I am sure we have not seen the last of. I liked how the good guys and bad guys seemed to switch teams. It definitely kept things interesting. I love it when that happens. Just when you think you have things all figured out the author totally turns the tables on you.I bought Glass Houses as the first part of Volume I in The Morganville Vampires Series. To make it easier to review I stopped at the end of the first book. You may not be able to do that if you have Book 2 – The Dead Girls’ Dance handy. To say that this book ended in a cliff hanger would be putting it mildly…. extremely mildly. Yet, I’m stubborn. I decided that I wanted to add the next book to my Bout-of-Books 4.0 list, so I’m waiting until that week to read it. Trust me, it’s one of the hardest books that I have forced myself to resist. Just know that if you are going to pick up Glass Houses, make sure that you have The Dead Girls’ Dance handy. You can thank me later. ;)